Start a Conversation

Solved!

Go to Solution

October 20th, 2018 09:00

isHighlyActiveTopic

Include XPS thermal management system to G3/G5/G7 BIOS

Hi Dell,

Considering the amount of issues related to thermal management and fan control in the G-Series I would like to suggest you include in the next BIOS version the same thermal management system of XPS line and allow it to be controlled via Dell Power Manager the same way XPS line works (with Cool, Quiet, Balanced and High Performance profiles), this will save you a lot of headache and returns due to systems running too hot or too loud when it's just a matter of software management.

G-Series laptop may be entry-level gaming pcs but its users are very demanding when it comes to stability and controls, so it would make sense, I want to be able to let me g3 be really quiet during work time and when I want to game, I would like to be able to set it to high performance and system ramp up fans to keep thermals under control and excellent performance.

I believe other owners will agree with me.

Best regards. 

Ricardo

1 Rookie

• 

14 Posts

February 22nd, 2019 09:00

They finally did it, made my day :catvery-happy:

13 Posts

February 22nd, 2019 14:00

But nothing for G3.... Topic started is G3 user... Dell, please! Waiting the same for G3.

9 Posts

February 23rd, 2019 00:00

Now this was something we've all been waiting to hear for! So has anyone tried out the latest BIOS 1.9.0 update? Is it stable? Problems? Most importantly, have we got complete control of our laptop's fans? Is this the best BIOS up to date? Anyone who has installed it, please kindly confirm.

26 Posts

February 23rd, 2019 02:00

I already tried bios 1.9 and it is good so far. I commented my early experience into another topic HERE and I think that bios is the best of in our options. I advice you to use Ulta Performance mode because they implemented bios 1.3 thermal table into this option. If I experience anthing else I will keep you posted.

12 Posts

February 25th, 2019 19:00

Try the new Bios 1.9. It was just released. My computer CPU activity dropped by a lot and the temperature at idle now go to 43C instead of 55. The power draw on the computer also dropped a lot. I don't know why it took so long for them to update this. But it's here and seems to solve the problems. Now when gaming the temps wont go above 88c. Before 100c was a rule and a had to reduce TDP to 30w . Now I leave it at 45. Anyway I disable the other features such as "Short Max turbo boost" and I also undervolt a bit using XTU. Now also there is an option on the Power Management software that you can adjust the state of the cpu and FAN together which makes a diference. Interestingly I leave mine on the "ultra performance" all the time and it is when my cpu runs coolest using less Wats of power when idling. Some will say that it's because the fan turns on. But no, it's off. But it comes one at about 55c I guess.

18 Posts

March 1st, 2019 20:00

Hi

I do have a G5 5587 machine. I cant load Bios.

Dell has exchanged the MB and loading of Bios 1.8 and 1.9 still fails.

Waiting for feedback from Dell to why this is happening.

March 2nd, 2019 18:00

Dell, please fix this issue

3 Posts

March 7th, 2019 16:00

update your G7 bios version. Thermal management added to PowerManagement menu

March 13th, 2019 10:00

Does anyone know why the G3 BIOS is several iterations behind the G5/G7?  I just bought the G3 and went with BIOS 1.3 which sounds like the last "good" one.  My temps are fine, but every couple of minutes when idling or under very light use, the fans will kick on to full speed, slow to a low speed and then shut off again. This happens every minute or two and it's extremely annoying.  The temps are in the low to mid 40s, so there is no reason for the fans to be doing this.  I've undervolted and repasted so temps are not a problem at all.  I've tried many fixes to this including uninstalling and reinstalling the thermal drivers, running in all different modes, unplugged or AC, etc... but the fans will always do this ramp up, quiet idle, shut off cycle and it's super annoying.

GIVE ME FAN CONTROL.

September 8th, 2023 19:25

@TacoFerris​ fafaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

2 Posts

January 12th, 2024 10:37

that was really smart move 

1 Rookie

• 

1 Message

April 8th, 2024 08:32

We appreciate your suggestion and the effort you've put into it. Your involvement makes a positive difference!

1 Rookie

• 

2 Posts

May 10th, 2024 05:32

This would be very useful.

No Events found!