AnsweredAssumed Answered

Alienware 17 R4 NON-gsync panel -- can I use integrated intel GPU?

Question asked by aryntha on Oct 12, 2017
Latest reply on Oct 13, 2017 by Nja-Nja

I just ordered an Alienware 17 R4, and I made sure to specify this panel: "17.3 inch UHD (3840 x 2160) IPS Anti-Glare 300-nits, Enabled with Tobii Eye-tracking "  - the version that does *NOT* have GSync.

The reason for this is I do want to be able to use the integrated intel GPU at times, whereas from what I have been told, with a GSync panel, this is impossible.

I want to make sure though, that by ordering the *NON GSYNC* panel that I will be able to use the integrated intel GPU for better battery life when I want to;  I ordered the GTX 1080 version and don't want that running all the time when it doesn't need to.

(I've found a lot of things saying that if you have a Gsync panel it won't work, but no guarantees that on the current lineup of Alienware 17 R4 systems that if I get the UHD Non-Gsync panel that it will work.)

I've tried calling Dell several times, and Dell reps have absolutely no idea on the matter.

Can anyone here answer it? 

-- Also, since the two display options are the same price and nearly the same spec (UHD 300 nits w. Tobii Non-GSync vs UHD 400 nits w. Tobii w GSYNC) - what's the chance that while assembling the system they may just put in a GSync panel by mistake anyways?

Outcomes