AnsweredAssumed Answered

Alienware 13 R3 and TB16 thunderbolt dock, issues

Question asked by GreatArtist on Mar 22, 2017
Latest reply on Sep 15, 2017 by Stadia33

The TB16 Thunderbolt dock that I have used successful with a XPS 15 9550 is currently also functional with a new Alienware 13 R3. However there are a few issues. I'll list the different (from XPS15) behavior I observe here and hope others would chime in on this particular combination:

(1) The thunderbolt cable's light doesn't come on and the Alienware doesn't charge. I know the power limitations of the dock but was hoping it would at least trickle change.

(2) USB ports on the dock, and those on the external display (connected to a USB port on the dock) work but with artifacts. The keyboard is exhibiting a "sudden key repeat" problem, where it would all of a sudden spew out the same key (as if the key Up event were lost somehow). It's more of a problem is the "sudden repeat" is with Backspace.

(3) Again with USB, plugging in a device can knock other devices out, such as, I plug in a webcam, and the mouse (a Razer Orochi on wired connection) would stop working.

(4) The external display (via HDMI on the dock) works. This is the smoothest part: it just worked from get go.

Outcomes