Roladin

Area 51 R2 and ZOTAC GeForce® GTX 1080 Ti AMP Extreme

Discussion created by Roladin on May 18, 2017
Latest reply on Jun 28, 2017 by WSYOON

So finally I got my hands on the (by now) fastest 1080 Ti on the market. It replaces my almost two years old 980 Ti Founders Edition. (This sentence makes my wife sad and my son happy, because he gets all my “outdated stuff”.)

But with great power comes great weight (almost 1,6 kg), so I wanted to use the additional anchor point of the GPU holder. Unfortunately, with great power comes great size too (a length of 32,5 cm, to be exact) …

So this is what I came up with:

Here you can see what I saw(ed) …

I sawed the video card extension plate in half. Not exactly in half, in fact, the remaining part is about 11 mm in width. Smoothed the edges with a file and (because I had no spray color at hand) covered the cut up with some black permanent marker.

Screwed it up on purpose …

I mounted my video card extension small plate to the back of the backplate of the video card. (This sentence alone was worth it.) I used M2,5 screws with a length of 6 mm and the corresponding nuts and washers. The ventilation slits on the backplate are just of the right dimension, so I had to do no harm to my new bought toy.

Tools of victory …

The mounting process was only almost as frustrating as I thought, thanks to some long, sleek pincers. So I could hold the nuts in place while fitting in the screw. I think lost not more than a dozen of screws, nuts and washers in sum!

The result en gros ...

... and en detail

German engineering at work ...

The final situation with the PCI retention clamp back in place. Satisfaction level: 100 %. Space left: none.

It’s alive!

Outcomes