AnsweredAssumed Answered

New Aurora R5 owner with some basic questions. :)

Question asked by everway9 on Apr 20, 2017
Latest reply on Apr 20, 2017 by Tesla1856

Hi everyone.

Newbie Alienware Aurora R5 owner here so a big HELLO to you all. :) I'm from Carlisle in the UK and 39 years old. Pleased to meet you. I hope y'all doing grand today. :)

I have just purchased a new Alienware Aurora R5 Desktop PC. Unfortunately it's not the one with the liquid cooled i7 6700K but it's still way, way better than I have ever had previously.

It's the i7 6700 air cooled with 32GB RAM, 512GB SSD and the GeForce GTX 1080 8GB Founders Edition GPU. I absolutely love it. A very impressive little beast. :) I paid £1325 for it so I think that was a pretty good price so I can't grumble. I might upgrade it in the future but for now it's good.

Anyway. My questions:

Should this model have the XMP memory fitted. The RAM sticks look like basic RAM sticks with no Heatsinks fitted so I'm not sure if it is XMP or not. I'd like to find out. I'd also like to be able to confirm that the RAM is Quad-Channel. Is there a utility which can tell me this info? If there is then what details should I be looking for?

This one is probably a stupid question. When ordering I saw that it came with something called an Oculus Place mat. There was nothing else in the box when I unpacked the PC other than the AC cord and the PC itself. Would I be correct in assuming that this 'place mat' is just a fancy way of saying that the PC is 'Oculus Ready' or am I missing something? (The PC has an Oculus Ready sticker on it and rear USB ports marked for Oculus).

And finally, so far anyway :) is it possible to set the colours in AlienFX to change randomly on their own? The profile I currently have it set to is 'Alienware'.

If anyone could help me out I'd be very grateful.

Many thanks in advance.

Andrew :)

Outcomes