In addition to creating a group of your own or being invited to a group, you can join other groups. Some of the group types have different requirements before you become a member.
- When joining an existing group, you’ll see that there are four different privacy levels to determine who has access to view and contribute to the content of that group.
- Public: the content in this group is visible to everyone in the community and anyone can create, respond to and comment on content within the group. This group type has no membership.
- Public (Restricted): Content is still visible to everyone in the community and any user can create discussions and questions. However, in order to create documents, blog posts, files and other content membership is required. Membership is by invite only.
- Private: This group will be listed but in order to see the content of the group requires membership which can be achieved by invitation or requesting to join.
- Private (Unlisted): this group is invisible to non-members and membership is by invitation only.
- To join a Private group, navigate to the group. You will see a description and a button “Ask to join this group”. Click that button and the group owner will review your request.
- Invitations to a group will be presented to you in your Inbox as a notification.
- Remember that for private (unlisted) and public (restricted) groups, membership is by invitation only!
17 people found this helpful