E

1 Rookie

• 

16 Posts

April 30th, 2024 22:24

XPS 8950, please help with setup

XPS 8950

XPS 8950

I have been fighting with this PC almost ever since I got it, I have reached out to dell "Premium support" and all i get is the same run around over and over and over again. This is my set up (pictures below) can someone PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE tell me how I go about setting this pc up with doing a dell system restore correctly so all drivers and capabilities are initialized. I need it set correctly to be able to load all drivers, and other specs correctly with all security available enabled on the pc. The dell site doesn't even specify or give instruction on how to set this up correctly with it being custom built, and i have no idea what drivers, and other components need to be enabled and if i should be installing in raid mode to activate the intel drivers, or if i should activate in m.2 NVME PCIE ssd mode, Also when i clean install it shows my drive after loading the intel drivers, but it never shows in the system boot menu in bios just has "windows boot manager" and the system shows as have 0 copies of windows installed. If someone could help me out it would be much much much appreciated. 

other issues- when i do the install i have 0 required security properties showing for VBS security properties, and the only one enabled is Hypervisor protection. My PC is also getting corruption right after a clean install and i run troubleshooter. It says some security settings may have been changed or deleted and its a reocurring thing. Ive used Tronscript, malwarebytes, Rkill, rougekiller, and hitman pro and ive hit on a couple potentially unwanted programs. Before i had hit on a fake MS edition trojan malware but dell sent me a new hard drive and im still having issues.

1 Rookie

• 

16 Posts

May 1st, 2024 01:08

1 Rookie

• 

16 Posts

May 1st, 2024 01:08

1 Rookie

• 

16 Posts

May 1st, 2024 01:09

10 Elder

• 

43.7K Posts

May 1st, 2024 01:21

Why did you need to change anything after Dell shipped it to you?

How many and what type(s) of drives are installed? SSD alone, HDD alone, both SSD and HDD? Do you have an add-in video card, which one?

XPS 8950 Service Manual

At this point you may be better off doing a clean install yourself.

1. Go to the Microsoft site and use their Media Creation Tool to create bootable USB to do a clean install of Win 11. 
  2. Back up all your personal files on external media, or you will lose them.
  3. Make sure you have product keys for all your software, eg Microsoft Office, etc. (Print them all out!)
  4. Open BIOS setup (tap F2 at Dell screen) and change SATA Operation to AHCI. Save the change and exit setup.  Power PC off. NOTE: After this change PC won't boot into Windows so make sure you're prepared and have all your personal files backed up, product keys etc.
  5. If you have both an SSD and HDD, it would be best to disconnect HDD cable from motherboard while doing the Win 11 installation.  Check Service Manual for instructions. Be sure to note exactly where you disconnect that HDD cable (Hint: take a pic with your phone).
  6. Close case and connect mouse and keyboard to rear USB2 ports. Be sure to connect monitor to the add-in video card, if you have one.  If using ethernet, connect ethernet cable to rear of PC and to router.
  7. Plug Win 11 USB into PC with power off
  8. Power on and tap F12 at Dell screen. When menu opens, select the option to boot from USB.
  9. The installer will open, so just follow prompts. Chose option not to save any files on the SSD.
  10. When you finally get to the desktop, configure your network for WiFi or ethernet connection to router.
  11. Manually run Windows Update to check for latest updates and drivers.  Windows and Windows Update should install most if not all drivers you need.
  12. Shut down normally, and unplug PC. Reconnect HDD.
  13. Repeat #6.
  14. Boot PC, install your apps and test function and performance. 

If any drivers don't get installed automatically, you can go to the Support page and put in your Service Tag (don't post it here). When the site recognizes your PC, click the Drivers/Download tab for a list of drivers specific for your hardware config. Download any that are missing onto your PC and run each installer.

1 Rookie

• 

16 Posts

May 1st, 2024 01:31

icrosoft Windows [Version 10.0.22631.3527]
(c) Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved.

C:\Users\thans\OneDrive\RANDOM\Coreinfo>coreinfo

Coreinfo v3.6 - Dump information on system CPU and memory topology
Copyright (C) 2008-2022 Mark Russinovich
Sysinternals - www.sysinternals.com

12th Gen Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-12700K
Intel64 Family 6 Model 151 Stepping 2, GenuineIntel
Microcode signature: 00000034
HTT             *       Hyperthreading enabled
CET             *       Supports Control Flow Enforcement Technology
Kernel CET      -       Kernel-mode CET Enabled
User CET        *       User-mode CET Allowed
HYPERVISOR      *       Hypervisor is present
VMX             -       Supports Intel hardware-assisted virtualization
SVM             -       Supports AMD hardware-assisted virtualization
X64             *       Supports 64-bit mode

SMX             -       Supports Intel trusted execution - THIS SHOWS UNKOWN DEVICE IN DEVICE MANAGER WHEN ENABLED
SKINIT          -       Supports AMD SKINIT
SGX             -       Supports Intel SGX

NX              *       Supports no-execute page protection
SMEP            *       Supports Supervisor Mode Execution Prevention
SMAP            *       Supports Supervisor Mode Access Prevention
PAGE1GB         *       Supports 1 GB large pages
PAE             *       Supports > 32-bit physical addresses
PAT             *       Supports Page Attribute Table
PSE             *       Supports 4 MB pages
PSE36           *       Supports > 32-bit address 4 MB pages
PGE             *       Supports global bit in page tables
SS              *       Supports bus snooping for cache operations
VME             *       Supports Virtual-8086 mode
RDWRFSGSBASE    *       Supports direct GS/FS base access

FPU             *       Implements i387 floating point instructions
MMX             *       Supports MMX instruction set
MMXEXT          -       Implements AMD MMX extensions
3DNOW           -       Supports 3DNow! instructions
3DNOWEXT        -       Supports 3DNow! extension instructions
SSE             *       Supports Streaming SIMD Extensions
SSE2            *       Supports Streaming SIMD Extensions 2
SSE3            *       Supports Streaming SIMD Extensions 3
SSSE3           *       Supports Supplemental SIMD Extensions 3
SSE4a           -       Supports Streaming SIMDR Extensions 4a
SSE4.1          *       Supports Streaming SIMD Extensions 4.1
SSE4.2          *       Supports Streaming SIMD Extensions 4.2

AES             *       Supports AES extensions
AVX             *       Supports AVX instruction extensions
AVX2            *       Supports AVX2 instruction extensions
AVX-512-F       -       Supports AVX-512 Foundation instructions
AVX-512-DQ      -       Supports AVX-512 double and quadword instructions
AVX-512-IFAMA   -       Supports AVX-512 integer Fused multiply-add instructions
AVX-512-PF      -       Supports AVX-512 prefetch instructions
AVX-512-ER      -       Supports AVX-512 exponential and reciprocal instructions
AVX-512-CD      -       Supports AVX-512 conflict detection instructions
AVX-512-BW      -       Supports AVX-512 byte and word instructions
AVX-512-VL      -       Supports AVX-512 vector length instructions
FMA             *       Supports FMA extensions using YMM state
MSR             *       Implements RDMSR/WRMSR instructions
MTRR            *       Supports Memory Type Range Registers
XSAVE           *       Supports XSAVE/XRSTOR instructions
OSXSAVE         *       Supports XSETBV/XGETBV instructions
RDRAND          *       Supports RDRAND instruction
RDSEED          *       Supports RDSEED instruction

CMOV            *       Supports CMOVcc instruction
CLFSH           *       Supports CLFLUSH instruction
CX8             *       Supports compare and exchange 8-byte instructions
CX16            *       Supports CMPXCHG16B instruction
BMI1            *       Supports bit manipulation extensions 1
BMI2            *       Supports bit manipulation extensions 2
ADX             *       Supports ADCX/ADOX instructions
DCA             -       Supports prefetch from memory-mapped device
F16C            *       Supports half-precision instruction
FXSR            *       Supports FXSAVE/FXSTOR instructions
FFXSR           -       Supports optimized FXSAVE/FSRSTOR instruction
MONITOR         *       Supports MONITOR and MWAIT instructions
MOVBE           *       Supports MOVBE instruction
ERMSB           *       Supports Enhanced REP MOVSB/STOSB
PCLMULDQ        *       Supports PCLMULDQ instruction
POPCNT          *       Supports POPCNT instruction
LZCNT           *       Supports LZCNT instruction
SEP             *       Supports fast system call instructions
LAHF-SAHF       *       Supports LAHF/SAHF instructions in 64-bit mode
HLE             -       Supports Hardware Lock Elision instructions
RTM             -       Supports Restricted Transactional Memory instructions

DE              *       Supports I/O breakpoints including CR4.DE
DTES64          -       Can write history of 64-bit branch addresses
DS              -       Implements memory-resident debug buffer
DS-CPL          -       Supports Debug Store feature with CPL
PCID            *       Supports PCIDs and settable CR4.PCIDE
INVPCID         *       Supports INVPCID instruction
PDCM            *       Supports Performance Capabilities MSR
RDTSCP          *       Supports RDTSCP instruction
TSC             *       Supports RDTSC instruction
TSC-DEADLINE    *       Local APIC supports one-shot deadline timer
TSC-INVARIANT   *       TSC runs at constant rate
xTPR            *       Supports disabling task priority messages

EIST            *       Supports Enhanced Intel Speedstep
ACPI            *       Implements MSR for power management
TM              *       Implements thermal monitor circuitry
TM2             *       Implements Thermal Monitor 2 control
APIC            *       Implements software-accessible local APIC
x2APIC          *       Supports x2APIC

CNXT-ID         -       L1 data cache mode adaptive or BIOS

MCE             *       Supports Machine Check, INT18 and CR4.MCE
MCA             *       Implements Machine Check Architecture
PBE             *       Supports use of FERR#/PBE# pin

PSN             -       Implements 96-bit processor serial number

PREFETCHW       *       Supports PREFETCHW instruction

Maximum implemented CPUID leaves: 00000020 (Basic), 80000008 (Extended).
Maximum implemented address margin: 0;">Processor signature: 00090672

Logical to Physical Processor Map:
**------------------  Physical Processor 0 (Hyperthreaded)
--**----------------  Physical Processor 1 (Hyperthreaded)
----**--------------  Physical Processor 2 (Hyperthreaded)
------**------------  Physical Processor 3 (Hyperthreaded)
--------**----------  Physical Processor 4 (Hyperthreaded)
----------**--------  Physical Processor 5 (Hyperthreaded)
------------**------  Physical Processor 6 (Hyperthreaded)
--------------**----  Physical Processor 7 (Hyperthreaded)
----------------*---  Physical Processor 8
-----------------*--  Physical Processor 9
------------------*-  Physical Processor 10
-------------------*  Physical Processor 11

Logical Processor to Socket Map:
********************  Socket 0

Logical Processor to NUMA Node Map:
********************  NUMA Node 0

No NUMA nodes.

Logical Processor to Cache Map:
**------------------  Data Cache          0, Level 1,   48 KB, Assoc  12, LineSize  64
**------------------  Instruction Cache   0, Level 1,   32 KB, Assoc   8, LineSize  64
**------------------  Unified Cache       0, Level 2,    1 MB, Assoc  10, LineSize  64
********************  Unified Cache       1, Level 3,   25 MB, Assoc  10, LineSize  64
--**----------------  Data Cache          1, Level 1,   48 KB, Assoc  12, LineSize  64
--**----------------  Instruction Cache   1, Level 1,   32 KB, Assoc   8, LineSize  64
--**----------------  Unified Cache       2, Level 2,    1 MB, Assoc  10, LineSize  64
----**--------------  Data Cache          2, Level 1,   48 KB, Assoc  12, LineSize  64
----**--------------  Instruction Cache   2, Level 1,   32 KB, Assoc   8, LineSize  64
----**--------------  Unified Cache       3, Level 2,    1 MB, Assoc  10, LineSize  64
------**------------  Data Cache          3, Level 1,   48 KB, Assoc  12, LineSize  64
------**------------  Instruction Cache   3, Level 1,   32 KB, Assoc   8, LineSize  64
------**------------  Unified Cache       4, Level 2,    1 MB, Assoc  10, LineSize  64
--------**----------  Data Cache          4, Level 1,   48 KB, Assoc  12, LineSize  64
--------**----------  Instruction Cache   4, Level 1,   32 KB, Assoc   8, LineSize  64
--------**----------  Unified Cache       5, Level 2,    1 MB, Assoc  10, LineSize  64
----------**--------  Data Cache          5, Level 1,   48 KB, Assoc  12, LineSize  64
----------**--------  Instruction Cache   5, Level 1,   32 KB, Assoc   8, LineSize  64
----------**--------  Unified Cache       6, Level 2,    1 MB, Assoc  10, LineSize  64
------------**------  Data Cache          6, Level 1,   48 KB, Assoc  12, LineSize  64
------------**------  Instruction Cache   6, Level 1,   32 KB, Assoc   8, LineSize  64
------------**------  Unified Cache       7, Level 2,    1 MB, Assoc  10, LineSize  64
--------------**----  Data Cache          7, Level 1,   48 KB, Assoc  12, LineSize  64
--------------**----  Instruction Cache   7, Level 1,   32 KB, Assoc   8, LineSize  64
--------------**----  Unified Cache       8, Level 2,    1 MB, Assoc  10, LineSize  64
----------------*---  Data Cache          8, Level 1,   32 KB, Assoc   8, LineSize  64
----------------*---  Instruction Cache   8, Level 1,   64 KB, Assoc   8, LineSize  64
----------------****  Unified Cache       9, Level 2,    2 MB, Assoc  16, LineSize  64
-----------------*--  Data Cache          9, Level 1,   32 KB, Assoc   8, LineSize  64
-----------------*--  Instruction Cache   9, Level 1,   64 KB, Assoc   8, LineSize  64
------------------*-  Data Cache         10, Level 1,   32 KB, Assoc   8, LineSize  64
------------------*-  Instruction Cache  10, Level 1,   64 KB, Assoc   8, LineSize  64
-------------------*  Data Cache         11, Level 1,   32 KB, Assoc   8, LineSize  64
-------------------*  Instruction Cache  11, Level 1,   64 KB, Assoc   8, LineSize  64

Logical Processor to Group Map:
********************  Group 0

C:\Users\thans\OneDrive\RANDOM\Coreinfo>

1 Rookie

• 

16 Posts

May 1st, 2024 01:44

@RoHe​ I have 1 m2 NVME PCIE ssd installed factory from dell. ive tried clean installing both in Raid mode, and also In NVME and i should be able to use trusted execution,

VMX             -       Supports Intel hardware-assisted virtualization
SVM             -       Supports AMD hardware-assisted virtualization

and both of these, but no matter how i Install it, I get unkown device in device manager when i enable trusted execution and no matter what i do i never have any of the Required platform security properties showing, along with only hypervisor protection turned on upon checking after clean installation of windows media, and also clean image restore from dell support assist recovery. I have no clue what i'm doing wrong but its completely wrecking my life

1 Rookie

• 

16 Posts

May 1st, 2024 01:49

kxg8

1 Rookie

• 

16 Posts

1 Rookie

• 

16 Posts

1 Rookie

• 

16 Posts

May 1st, 2024 01:50

1 Rookie

• 

16 Posts

May 1st, 2024 15:26

@Chino de Oro​ I have done this more times than I can count. With corruption still happening, unknown device in device manager, pc running slow, no ssd showing in bios. Still needing a walkthrough with the specifications I have because the clean install image option clearly is compromised or something not set up or missing. No security settings should be changing on their own after a clean install and sfc scan 

10 Elder

• 

43.7K Posts

May 1st, 2024 17:34

Go to the Support page and enter your Service Tag. (Don't post it here.)  When that recognizes your PC, look at right side under Quick Links for a link to system specs. When that opens, what WiFi+Bluetooth card is listed, Intel or Killer?

I suspect you have Killer WiFi+BT, not Intel WiFi+BT.  So open Device Manager and click View>Show hidden. Then right-click and uninstall Intel Tile Device and the Unknown device, both listed under Other Devices. Then uninstall all other Unknown devices listed anywhere in Device Manager.  Now click Action>Scan for hardware changes. When that's done, reboot PC and test. 

And as I already said, you probably should do a totally clean install using the Microsoft Media Creation Tool to wipe everything off the SSD and start from scratch. It will install Windows Security (Windows Defender) and that should be all you need.

1 Rookie

• 

16 Posts

May 1st, 2024 19:40

10 Elder

• 

43.7K Posts

May 1st, 2024 23:34

So you have Killer WiFi+BT, 

Why do I see Killer Ethernet and Killer WiFi listed twice in your screenshots?  Did you accidentally include Killer in both shots or are they really listed twice?

Looks like this is the Killer WiFi driver you need. Confirm the driver version number that's shown in Device Manager.

Uninstall those two items with ? under Other Devices. If any other items in Device Manager have a ? or other error notation, uninstall them too. Then click Action>Scan for hardware changes. Exit Device Manager.

Now use Safely Remove to release all external USB drives and unplug them. Then reboot PC and test performance without any of those drives connected.

No Events found!