D

1 Rookie

• 

4 Posts

May 3rd, 2024 13:45

XPS 8700, Windows 10 -- "No boot device available"

XPS 8700

XPS 8700

My XPS8700 (BIOS A13, Win10) is having a chronic issue of "No boot device available" upon a cold start or a reboot.

When the issue first began to surface a couple of years ago, I was able to boot successfully by going through the sequence of F2 & F10, but lately this would only works after repeated tries and seemingly like a stroke of luck.  Once booted up, the PC would run fine continuously unless/until I have to reboot for some unrelated reasons -- thus it seems like the OS disk is functioning hardware-wise.

Any pointers/suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

9 Legend

• 

33.3K Posts

May 3rd, 2024 14:07

First suggestion, replace the CR2032 coin cell battery located on the motherboard.  An old/defective battery can cause BIOS boot problems.

1 Rookie

• 

4 Posts

16-05-2024 21:17 PM

@fireberd​ I had never suspected the root cause of my "no boot drive" issue being the PC's CMOS battery is virtually dead, since I would expect to see a typical symptom of dead CMOS battery being "wrong real-time clock value" diagnostic message to pop up on (successful) cold boots -- but the bad CMOS battery was indeed the culprit.

Thank you!

1 Rookie

• 

4 Posts

16-05-2024 23:31 PM

@fireberd​ Well, I spoke and celebrated too soon -- the "no boot drive" issue came back on the very next boot! :-(

The culprit turned out to be the original 3.5" HDD.

View More

No Events found!