Start a Conversation

Solved!

Go to Solution

1 Rookie

• 

5 Posts

March 1st, 2024 16:16

Getting Windows Security Warning about Driver Software in SA 4.0.1.54588 upgrade

Inspiron 3020 Desktop

Inspiron 3020 Desktop

I was notified on SA of the update 4.0.1.54588 so went through the update process. After a few minutes a popup window from Windows Security read: "Windows cannot verify the publisher of this driver software" and offered a choice between NOT installing the driver software or installing the driver software anyway. I did neither until I get answers so I hit cancel and got  "We ran into a problem. Restart your PC, then try again." Error code: 1603 appears in the bottom right of window. I restarted but got the same Windows Security popup window warning. I am tempted to install the driver anyway but wanted to see if others are experiencing this. This driver apparently does not have a valid digital signature that verifies who published it.

1 Rookie

• 

5 Posts

March 30th, 2024 01:31

@XPS_Man​ After four days of a spinning circle when I tried to open SA, it opened and took me to the 90 day activity summary screen! Low and behold it functions once again! Somehow, during this, the version was upgraded to 4.0.1.57784. Thanks for all your help. Praying it is less buggy. 

(edited)

5 Practitioner

• 

2.4K Posts

March 3rd, 2024 16:17

Mine got installed fine. However version 4.xx has too many bugs. So removed it and After reinstallation using dell's official installer version 3.14. So it seems like Dell is aware of the bugs and pulled back version 4.xx 

The error message can be due to invalid signature of the exe file or in most cases windows security not being updated. Just to be safe it's not malware/spyware pretending to be SupportAssist, please download it from the Official website 

SupportAssist for Home PCs | Dell USA

1 Rookie

• 

5 Posts

March 8th, 2024 00:24

@XPS_Man​ The upgrade notice came back on the SA so went with your suggestion to download from the website. The same Window Security flag appeared and downloaded the driver anyway. Then after processing for 5 min, "This is taking longer than expected. We recommend restarting your PC." And I did, four times same message. Went to Dell's Diagnostic & Tools to run their 10 min diagnostic test and it automatically checks for the SA first and says "download Dell SupportAssist to run download diagnostic tests"  Huh? I already have it! It provided the SA launcher.exe so I press install it and I am back getting the same message after 5 min, "This is taking longer than expected. We recommend restarting your PC." I will give it a rest and try again later. Frustrating. 

(edited)

5 Practitioner

• 

2.4K Posts

March 10th, 2024 17:27

@mkjames​ a clean installation of Supportassist will be needed. 

Run this troubleshooter to remove Supportassist and run it again if Dell updates is also installed on your computer. Do not remove Supportassist using program and features
Fix problems that block programs from being installed or removed - Microsoft Support

go to program and features. find and Uninstall .NET Runtime 6 & higher versions. 

Delete .NET folders from C:\ProgramFiles\dotnet\shared\Microsoft.NETCore.App

Delete registry HKLM\SOFTWARE\dotnet\Setup\InstalledVersions\x64\sharedhost

Reboot and install SA again. 

1 Rookie

• 

5 Posts

March 11th, 2024 04:45

@XPS_Man​ Will this troubleshooter run on Windows 11? I bought my Dell in Nov 2023 with Win 11. When I selected the link it says Win 10. 

Also where can I find:

registry HKLM\SOFTWARE\dotnet\Setup\InstalledVersions\x64\sharedhost? I am a novice. 

(edited)

5 Practitioner

• 

2.4K Posts

March 13th, 2024 02:04

@mkjames​ yes this will run on windows 11. 

Right click windows logo > Run

Type REGEDIT and press enter 

Now navigate to HKEY Local machine \ SOFTWARE\dotnet\Setup\InstalledVersions\x64\sharedhost

Delete the Sharedhost folder 

1 Rookie

• 

5 Posts

March 24th, 2024 20:08

@XPS_Man​ Finally attempted the clean SA install as you instructed. Only issue was while deleting folders in C:\ProgramFiles\dotnet\shared\Microsoft.NETCore.App, I was unable to delete two (6.0.28 & 7.0.17 both dated 3/12 when I attempted the upgrade via the Dell website) as it said they were open in another file and did not provide location? I had no other programs open. Rebooted anyway and re-installed SA and got the 3.14.245116 version (as seen under installed apps) however, when opening the program, it is stuck on the spinning circle and  "We're preparing SupportAssist to help you keep your PC running at its best."  After 15 min. rebooted and got same result. I noticed at the bottom of the Dell screen it reads "Version 4.0", which is what I would see on the former uninstalled version. 

On a brighter note, I went to Product Support/Drivers & Downloads and it uses SA to detect any updates I might need and it worked and downloaded system BIOS and Realtrek driver. However, got a quick test error when I tried to run the SA diagnostic test on my pc hardware. I will take what I can get. 

(edited)

No Events found!