Start a Conversation

Unsolved

R

1 Rookie

• 

2 Posts

May 3rd, 2024 08:43

Dell PowerEdge FS12-NV7 not booting to POST. Amber lights flashing.

I have a server rack which contains 6 FS12-NV7 servers. However, when powering them on, only one boots to POST. The other 5s warning amber light flashes 3 times repeatedly; two flashes followed by a quick double third flash. I would hugely appreciate it if somebody could assist me with this. As all 5 are doing this, there is clearly a common denominator. I have reset CMOS on one of them, assuming the jumper next to the battery is the CMOS reset (cannot find any documentation whatsoever, apparently it is a unique specimen). No change. I haven't hooked it up to the network yet, I wouldn't have thought that was necessary in order to get the system to POST.

I am to believe the system is similar to more common servers such as FS12-TY, which is essentially the Intel version, which itself is basically a C2100.

Thanks in advance for any advice.

• 

8.5K Posts

May 3rd, 2024 13:00

Ryjen01,

The server is indeed a customized version of the C2100. What I would suggest that you start with is taking the 5 systems to their minimum to post configurations. That is removing everything from the system, internally and externally, but the following;

• System board
  • CPU(CPU 1)
  • Heatsink
  • 1 DIMM(A1)
  • Power Supply

Power back up and see if it posts, if so then individually add the removed devices back until the issue reappears, identifying the problem. 

Regarding the jumpers, you can find details on the specific jumpers on page 125-126 here

Let me know what you see. 

1 Rookie

• 

2 Posts

May 3rd, 2024 15:28

OK thanks Chris, I will do that and get back to you. Before I do that, do you have any idea what 3 blinks of the amber light on the front control panels status LED could mean? As all 5 have this problem, I cannot help but think this could be a common issue, such as dead CMOS battery. Surely all 5 wouldn't all have a faulty device, the odds are too great, especially giving the exact same 3 blinking amber light indicators. 

• 

8.5K Posts

May 3rd, 2024 15:32

Sorry about that. If it is the Fault LED, seen on page 10 of the guide i provided, then it blinks amber in the event of a noncritical failure, such as fan, voltage or temperature state. 

3 Apprentice

• 

406 Posts

May 4th, 2024 15:34

will suggest you to check the logs first and then proceed accordingly to do a POST run in minimum configuration,  do update the status.

No Events found!