Start a Conversation

Unsolved

Q

1 Rookie

• 

2 Posts

May 5th, 2024 14:22

optiplex 3070 upgrade questions

I am upgrading an optiplex 3070 SFF  and need some advice I am replacing the current 128GB SSD drive with a 500GB drive and adding 8GB of RAM to bring it up to 16GB, A couple of things I need to know are  

1 the replacement ssd is twice as long as the installed one and will cover a chip on the board, should the new drive have an insulator under it to shield this chip?  

2  what PCi cards are available to fit this model I see 2 slots on the board what can fit there ?

3  I have read on the web that this model has optional wifi and bluetooth I don't think mine has it fitted But I can't see where to fit one if not. Unless it is the Blue socket with 2 rows of pins under the drive caddy for a 2 1/2 inch drive..

I would be very grateful for any help on these questions

Kind Regards

Quezzers

5 Practitioner

• 

5K Posts

May 5th, 2024 20:46

It seems that your original SSD is a shorter 2230 form factor drive.  If you are going to upgrade the SSD with a 2280 form factor, you will need to move the standoff to proper location matching with the longer SSD.

1.  Some of Dell systems use a thermal pad underneath the NVMe SSD to keep the heat dissipate.  See picture below for a typical SSD installation w/pad.

2.  There are PCIe x16 slot and PCIe x1 slot on your system board.  Any add-on cards that requires such slots can be used.  Example, PCIe x16 slot can support a low profile video card.  PCIe x1 slot can support a Wifi + Bluetooth combo card (it will require an internal USB 2 connector for Bluetooth function).

3.  Your system board may have an M.2 slot dedicates for communication.  It will accommodate M.2 Wifi/Bluetooth with A/E key.  The blue socket you saw may have been a internal USB 3 connector.

(edited)

1 Rookie

• 

2 Posts

May 6th, 2024 09:47

@Chino de Oro​  Thank you for your reply. Can you tell me where and what the stand off is please. Does a heat pad come with the ssd or is it a separate item? I am buying both the ssd and Ram from crucial who have both quoted as compatible with the 3070SFF. my original drive is a western digital .Idon't want to remove it before I clone it to the new drive when I get it.The blue connectoris larger than a usb and has 2 rows of 9 pins, Near to it is printed on the board the word READER. Does the 3070SFF have a card reader facility available?

Thanks again for your help

Kind Regards

Quezzers

5 Practitioner

• 

5K Posts

May 6th, 2024 19:13

If you review the picture from my post, take note of the numbering:

1.  Thermal pad can be source from online shopping site.  You will need 5.25 mm thick pad and cut to fit.  The dimension is around 30 x 20 x 5.25 mm.

3.  M.2 screw which secures the SSD to a standoff.  The standoff screw can be removed from motherboard and placing to match location of SSD form factor.

The blue connector usually is an internal USB 3 connector.  It won't look the same as external USB 3 connector.  The point is, it is not the socket or connector for WiFi/Bluetooth.

To learn if your system has a card reader, check the front panel if it has an opening slot #4 in picture below.

View More

No Events found!