Start a Conversation

Unsolved

C

1 Rookie

• 

12 Posts

May 5th, 2024 13:59

Dell optiplex 7010 ram upgrade

I currently have a single 4 gig stick and its not enough for my dailty use and basic tasks.I run windows 11 and the pc at idle uses about 70 percent of the ram.Should i add another 4gig stick or 8gig stick.Cuz i am confused about the whole dual channel thing.Is 12 gb prferably better than having 8?

7 Technologist

• 

12.1K Posts

May 5th, 2024 20:45

You did not state which form factor 7010 you have but in general pull the 4GB RAM module and add 2 x 8GB for a total of 16GB. If you go to 12 then only 8GB of the RAM will run in dual channel. And if you only add 4GB for a total of 8GB you will find yourself wishing you had gone to 16GB the more RAM intensive programs you run. 

6 Professor

• 

7.5K Posts

May 6th, 2024 02:43

So you have the previous or new 7010?  You're right, 4GB RAM definitely isn't enough.

There's an extra step if you do decide to run 3x4GB RAM (for 12GB).  Download CPU-Z and see if it's running in dual channel mode.

Being mostly unaware at the time of dual and single channel I have 12GB RAM in my Precision 3620 since that's what I ran in my previous 7010 (previous model).  CPU-Z tells me it's still running in dual channel mode.  Speed is better with dual channel vs. single channel.

I know you mentioned the possibility of adding an 8GB stick.  Same advice, however, mixing sizes isn't always recommended.  Doesn't mean for sure not working, but to make sure the RAM will work, all specs should be the same - volts, speed (MHz), and capacity.  In a newer 7010, I'd make sure brands match also .

Crucial has long been a go to brand with their lifetime guarantee.  But it hasn't been working in some newer Dell's.

Brands that have been working:

1. Micron (Though they make Crucial.)
  2. Samsung
  3. Hynix  (Often Dell's OEM)
  4. Dell

If you have the previous 7010, A-Tech is a great way to save $ on somewhat older/older machines.  It also has a lifetime warranty and I've used it for years.

1 Rookie

• 

12 Posts

May 6th, 2024 03:32

@bradthetechnut​ Its a dell optiplex 7010 dt from 2012.So if i have two 4gig sticks it will run in dual channel and if i have 3 4gig stick it will still run in dual channel and one ram stick would run in single channel right?So is the 8gb option better or is it the 12 gig one

6 Professor

• 

7.5K Posts

May 6th, 2024 03:47

@CoolBoyPreston​ 

"if i have 3 4gig stick it will still run in dual channel "  Not for sure.  I said to download CPU-Z if you do that to make sure it's running in dual channel mode.

2x4GB is the safest option to make sure it's running in dual channel mode.

May be Google your most demanding apps system requirements and check to make sure RAM meets them.

It's also a safe bet just to add 12GB (3x4GB) to the 4GB you have now.

I'm also curious anyway if 12GB runs in dual channel mode on a 7010.  A relative of mine has my previous 7010 with 12GB RAM.  I emailed them with the question and will likely have an answer tomorrow.

(edited)

6 Professor

• 

7.5K Posts

May 7th, 2024 23:55

I can confirm 3x4GB (12GB total) runs in dual channel mode on an Optiplex 7010 MT.  Got a screengrab back today from the relative.

View More

No Events found!