2 Posts

May 5th, 2024 19:24

Brocade M5424 reset to factory defaults

Hi,

I "Inherited" a M1000e Blade Enclosure with

12 M610 Blades,

4 B22Dell Fabric extenders, and

2 Broadcom Brocade M5424 Switches.

If I understand correctly the FEX (Fabric extenders) aren't much use with out the switch that ran them, but the M5424s should allow me to connect to our LAN.

But, the switch boots up ok, I am connected to the serial port and via the KVM to a blade running ProxMox in slot 1, the console spews a lot of messages, and I get a several link up/ link down events in ProxMox  along with a message about "npiv not supported in loop topology" and I briefly see a login prompt through the serial console, I have followed these instructions to the letter several times https://www.dell.com/community/en/conversations/networking-general/brocade-4424/647f4d22f4ccf8a8de5dc7c9?commentId=647f62e8f4ccf8a8deefc78b to no avail, when the prompt says  "press ESC to stop autoboot" I hit ESC 1 to many times, and it runs right through and autoboots anyway, whereupon I cannot input any commands, OR stop the process presumably managing the switch.

I'm stuck till I can reset the switch to factory defaults.

I did open the switch and press the two buttons on the motherboard, both on the bench AND while powered in the slot, no change....

Any constructive input greatly appreciated.

• 

2.2K Posts

May 6th, 2024 11:21

Hello,

I couldn't access much information for hardware reset button. Can you take a look at the article here:

Connectrix Brocade: How to restore a Brocade switch to factory settings on FOS 9.x. | Dell Canada

Hope that helps!

1 Rookie

• 

2 Posts

May 6th, 2024 23:22

So, hardware flow control was setting itself on in each session, so now I can ESC out of the boot sequence, but, a can reset some passwords, but not the one used to login to the controlling account, also, the list of commands for this switch, (at least the set I'm seeing during a drop to the command prompt during boot) does not contain the commands listed in the article, i get this "Unknown command 'switchdisable' - try 'help'" and help lists about 50 commands, I was able to clear the eeprom password, but not the login one ;-) not particularly usefull.

I appreciate the effort, but this OS version bears little relation to the FOS 9.x apparently

printenv yields 60-70 lines of info - one of which is

ver=U-Boot 1.1.3 (Aug 11 2011 - 20:06:34)

and  "version" returns

BootROM version: 1.0.9                                                          
Build Date: Thu Aug 11 20:06:36 PDT 2011 (swrel@hq1-ub-ecbld-102)               
Copyright (C) 2006 Brocade Communication.

so I'm in the ROM environment and have not gotten to the command line yet....

• 

3.1K Posts

May 7th, 2024 03:40

Hi,

Try this, I'm not sure if it works.

1. Start a CLI session over the serial interface to the device.

2. Reboot the device.

3. At the initial boot prompt at system startup, enter b to enter the boot monitor mode.

4. Enter "no password" at the prompt. (You cannot abbreviate this command.) This command will

cause the device to bypass the system password check.

5. Enter boot system flash primary at the prompt.

6. After the console prompt reappears, assign a new password.

View More

No Events found!