Start a Conversation

Unsolved

S

1 Rookie

• 

2 Posts

May 5th, 2024 08:08

How to get a laptop customised?

I want a linux (Fedora) laptop to replace my ageing latitude E6540.

But I want 16GB and 2TB SSD.  I do not need or want windows. I do not want to buy a laptop and then have to upgrade it immediately with a bigger HD.

Is there a way of customising a laptop to the spec I want?

10 Elder

• 

23.3K Posts

May 5th, 2024 12:43

With Dell (and most of the large manufacturers - Lenovo, Asus, Acer, HP, etc.) -- no.  Dell has no Fedora support at all, and I don't think you'll find it with any of the others.

There are plenty of white box builders that will completely customize a (usually Clevo or MSI) notebook to your needs -- Eurocom, AVA Direct, Falcon Northwest, Origin PC and a host of others.

The other option is a Framework notebook, which can be ordered as you wish and without an OS so you don't have to pay for Windows if you're not going to use it.

(edited)

1 Rookie

• 

2 Posts

May 6th, 2024 07:04

@ejn63 

Apologies - my post was badly worded. My current Latitude E6540 is Linux (Fedora) and I want to replace it with another Linux compatible laptop. I know Dell don't support Fedora (I don't need an OS installed - I wi;ll install it myself) - I just need a linux compatible (I have been told that the Latitude 5000 and 7000 series are - as are Precision) .

So what I'm after is basically what you say in your final paragraph - a Framework notebook. I hadn't seen that option on the Dell UK site - I'll hunt around a bit more.

No Events found!