Start a Conversation

Solved!

Go to Solution

1 Rookie

• 

10 Posts

February 17th, 2024 22:31

Suddenly no HDMI signal to monitor on one month old Ispiron

I was using the computer without problems and briefly left the room.

When I came back the screen was blank so I assumed it had goen into stand by model. But clicking the mouse or key board didn't help.

In fact the light on the tower was steady, ie it wasn't in stand by mode as this is indicated by the power light flashing.

I have tried using a different HDMI cable which I know is okay and not sure what to do now.

Although there is a vga (socket) on the monitor for some reason I now realise the tower doesn't have one so I cant even try with a vga cable.

As the screen is blank I cant run any of the tests I have seen suggestd.

And not even sure about how to turn the tower off as I can navigate to the windows shut down options.

Its not an issue about the monitor still being in warranty.

It is just that I urgently need to have my computer system back up and running.

Thanks

5 Practitioner

• 

5K Posts

February 18th, 2024 01:04

A quick push on power button would put the tower into sleep mode.  A long press and hold for 6 seconds on power button would forced shutdown the tower.

1 Rookie

• 

10 Posts

February 17th, 2024 22:35

correction to typoe

And not even sure about how to turn the tower off as I cant navigate to the windows shut down options.

10 Elder

• 

43.7K Posts

February 18th, 2024 01:50

Always include exact PC model in your posts.

Do you have an add-in video card (NVidia or AMD) or only onboard Intel Graphics?  If you have an add-in video card, are you sure the monitor is connected to that card and not to an onboard Intel Graphics port?

Even if the monitor is still under warranty, that doesn't mean it didn't fail. Can you test it on a different PC or a different monitor on this PC?

1 Rookie

• 

10 Posts

February 18th, 2024 20:22

Thanks for responses.

After I posted this I spent more time searching for support, and was shocked to find this is a common Dell problem, irrespective of model.

ie that the HDMI port is not reliable. As there are posts about this from at least a year ago I would have thought a recently bought model would NOT still be being sold with this unreliable element.

As mentioned above and in various posts I found I did in the end power down. And yes when I re-started the monitor worked okay.

But obviously if this is going to be a constand fault it is not just irritating but if it happened whilst in the middle of doing important work, that changes of work being lost by not being able to close applications and selecting Close down mean documents could be lost.

And yes I did get the message that Windows hadn't closed properly, and did I want to restart etc.. But this is not satisfactory.

How is it possible that whatever model of Dell it is they are still being shipped with this faulty element.

Up until a month ago I was using a Dell that was over 10 years old and had never ever had this fault. So much for progress.

I opted for a new Dell rather than any other company because of how well my old Dell had continued to be reliable.

Very very disappointed at this standard.

1 Rookie

• 

10 Posts

February 18th, 2024 20:27

As a consequence of this, is it possible to use a DisplayPort to HDMI converter cable to connect the monitor. Although this seems quite expensive I would prefer to invest in that, than have the constant worry that the hdmi port is not sending information to the monitor.

And as I discovered although the monitor has the option of a vga connection there is no port on the Inspiron so could swop to that.

(I should have added above that I know it was the hdmi port as I used my old monitor and hdmi cable, which was working on the old Dell perfectly, but did not work on the new Inspiron.)

5 Practitioner

• 

5K Posts

February 18th, 2024 23:58

Yes, you can use a DisplayPort to HDMI cable to connect your computer to the monitor.  An example of a simple $8 USD cable can do the job.  Take note that these type of cables are passive and uni-directional (one way).  Connecting from computer's DisplayPort and sending video signals to HDMI port on monitor.

As you have indicated, this is a common issue and your posts may landed on other users' search results.  If you can, providing more specific model and system information as that would help others with the same issue.  Do not post any private info on public forum such as system service tag.

10 Elder

• 

43.7K Posts

February 19th, 2024 01:18

You still haven't told us the exact PC model, or if you have an add-in video card or only onboard Intel Graphics. 

Do you have the latest BIOS, Intel chipset drivers, video driver, etc installed?  If you have an add-in video card, does it have the latest firmware?

Does this monitor have its own driver that's compatible with Win 11, and did you install it on this new PC?

Depending on the exact PC model, you might have a DP++ port on the PC. In that case, you only need a passive DP>HDMI adapter.  And remember, these adapters usually only work in one direction, so be sure you get one that's for DP(PC)>HDMI(monitor).

Have you checked the Windows Power plan to see if the monitor is set to turn off after a specific time and changed it to Never? 

Is Windows Power plan set to "max performance", rather than "balanced"?  Are BIOS and Windows set to allow mouse and keyboard to wake PC from sleep/hibernation?

Have you disabled Hybrid Sleep, USB Selective Suspend and PCI Express Link State on the Advanced screen in the Windows Power plan?

(edited)

1 Rookie

• 

10 Posts

February 25th, 2024 21:53

Thanks for the info re using DisplayPort as an alternative. Will definitely investigate as a preferred option as have now had a second instance of hdmi port failing to send info to monitor even though it was only a short period of time I was not active on the computer.

As to the specifications, I cant give you these exactly as I dont understand the questions!

However I can tell you it is an Inspiron 3020 with an nVidia card installed.

And all these other more technical options just shouldn't come into it.

I only purchased this in January. The configuration was part of a special offer which I took up.

If I bought a new car I wouldn't expect to be lifting up the bonnet and chacking settings or bypassing standard components.

This is madness.

It implies Dell is shipping out equpiment which isn't configured for a standard user to set up and just start using.

It was hard enough to do this, not because I am totally ignorant about computers but because I am someone with a visual impairment and no information is provided with the tower about set up. Added to which, which was standard a few years ago, they no longer colour code ports. And the only information are symbols in a very pale grey on a grey wavy background.

I had to take photos on my mobile and enlarge them to see what was what.

And just in case you think I haven't got the monitor plugged into the correct port there is only one HDMI port.

As an average user I do not expect to have to think about BIOS changing settings on USB ports when all I am trying to do is get the separate parts, all supplied by Dell to just work.

To repeat, the configuration was a standard one suggested by Dell. And nowhere did it say you will need advanced knowledge of how to get this working, but we wont supply you with a handbook, although if you are lucky you will find it on our web site, and tough luck if your only option it to access the internet via our product which isn't working!!!!!!

1 Rookie

• 

10 Posts

February 25th, 2024 22:04

From my invoice:

Inspiron 3020 
Dell 24 Monitor - SE2422H- 60.5cm (23.8’’)
Components
Processor 13th Gen Intel Core i7-13700 processor (16-Core, 30MB Cache, 2.1GHz
to 5.1GHz)
Graphics NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3060 12GB GDDR6
Memory 16GB, 16GBx1, DDR4, 3200MHz
Storage 512GB M.2 PCIe NVMe Solid State Drive + 2TB 7200RPM Hard Drive
Chassis Options 460W Bronze EPA Chassis with Fog Blue Front Bezel
Keyboard Dell Multimedia Keyboard-KB216 - UK (QWERTY) - Black
Cable Power Cord - UK
Wireless Realtek Wi-Fi 6 RTL8852BE, 2x2, 802.11ax, MU-MIMO, Bluetooth(R)
wireless card

(Both the mouse and the keyboard are really lightweight and cheap compared to my old Dell :( )

5 Practitioner

• 

5K Posts

February 26th, 2024 02:56

With the information, we can provide better suggestions to resolve your issue.

The monitor has HDMI port and VGA port.  Using HDMI input port is preferred.

The computer has HDMI port and DisplayPort for built-in integrated graphics.  But the computer also has a discrete graphics card, the RTX 3060.  The connection to RTX 3060 is preferred.

The RTX 3060 has HDMI port and DisplayPort for graphic usages.  Connecting your HDMI cable from the RTX's HDMI port to the HDMI port on monitor.  Assuming this has been the connection. 

Although you have selected the answer for how to forced turning off the computer, you still can presenting any question or issue and the community will assist until the issue is resolved.  I suspected that a recent update might have had contributed to the display matrix.

At this time, you can test the HDMI connection from RTX 3060 HDMI port to your monitor HDMI port.

If prefer, you can connect a DisplayPort to HDMI cable from RTX 3060 DisplayPort port to your monitor HDMI port.

10 Elder

• 

43.7K Posts

February 26th, 2024 03:00

Is this an Inspiron 3020 Desktop or an Inspiron 3020 Small Desktop?

Are you sure there's only one HDMI port?  There's an onboard Intel Graphics HDMI port on the back of both models. And there may be a second HDMI port on the add-in NVidia RTX 3060 card that's listed in your specs.

3020 Small desktop:

Inspiron 3020 Desktop:

On both models, #2 is the onboard Intel Graphics HDMI port and the NVidia RTX 3060 card is in the area marked #6.  So please double-check if your add-in video card has an HDMI port. If the add-in card has an HDMI port in area #6, the monitor has to be plugged into that HDMI port.

The onboard HDMI port #2 may be inactive when you have an add-in video card, unless at least one (or more) monitors are connected to port(s) on the NVidia card.

EDIT: Chino typed faster than I did...

(edited)

1 Message

February 29th, 2024 15:31

Interesting issue. And irritating. I have the same problem with a 1 week old Dell 3020 (not the small model and no added video board) and Dell SE2720H monitor. After an hour of use the screen reverted to color bands with barely discernable/unusable icons. Forcing a reboot resulted in a clear "no hdmi signal" message and a normal dark screen background. Booting to the system brought back the distortion as before.  2 support assist phone sessions with 2 knowledgeable tech people fixed nothing. The system worked for less than an hour after bios update, system reinstall, driver update, switching hdmi cable direction, new cable, buying DP port adapter to utilize a different source.... Nothing made a difference.

The irony is my ~12 year old Samsung monitor does work perfectly on the new 3020 computer for a couple days now at least.  And the brand new Dell SE2720H monitor works perfectly on the 13 year old Dell 660 (updated to Win 10). Conclusion is... its likely software win 11 issue. I am trying suggestions in your post next. 

10 Elder

• 

43.7K Posts

February 29th, 2024 23:33

@lazyboyz  - Are you sure about the monitor model number? I don't see SE2720H listed on the Dell's USA support site.  I do see an E2720H.

Are you using onboard Intel Graphics and an HDMI port on the Win 10 PC, or are you using an add-in video card and HDMI with the old PC?

Does Win 11 on the Inspiron 3020 identify the monitor correctly?  Is there a Win 11 driver for the monitor that needs to be installed on the 3020? Is the resolution and refresh rate set correctly in Win 11 for this monitor? 

Assuming the monitor has its own on-screen display (OSD), open it and look for options to set the video input signal type. If it's set to automatically detect the signal, change it to HDMI.  If that doesn't help, look for option to reset monitor to its default settings and try that...

(edited)

6 Professor

• 

7.5K Posts

March 2nd, 2024 01:48

"no added video board"

1 Rookie

• 

2 Posts

April 1st, 2024 01:01

I have the exact same issue. Model  i3020-5241BLU-PUS. Purchased Jan 2024 happened a week later. Only fix is to unplug entirely and force restart. Integrated Graphics standard.

Have tried two monitors now and after a few days exact same thing - "no signal" for monitor. Incredibly frustrating.

Any of the below tips help to fix?

Thank you.

(edited)

No Events found!