Start a Conversation

Solved!

Go to Solution

October 12th, 2022 06:00

CDRom/DVDRom will not work on Dell AIO

Inspiron 7700 AIO

Inspiron 7700 AIO

I install my CD-ROM drive as per the instructions, but if I try to access the drive, it states E:\ is not accessible. The parameter is incorrect.

I also have a laptop, an Acer Aspire i5, I put this CD-ROM drive on there and I got the same error, I went into -device manager/CD-ROM/driver/roll back driver.

It worked perfectly, so now I go into file explorer to C:\ windows\ system32\ drivers on both devices and noticed the files "cdrom.sys" are different the "good" one is 174kb, the other is 200kb, unfortunately, I do not have the option to "Roll back driver" on the Dell.

Is there a workaround please, without reinstalling Windows 11?

10 Elder

• 

43.8K Posts

October 13th, 2022 11:00

What software are you using to burn new DVD-R? Windows alone can't do it.

Look on the Start menu for Power2Go (Cyberlink). Launch Power2Go and then insert the disc and see if you can burn it now.

If you don't have Power2Go on your PC, you can download Cyberlink Media Suite Essentials for free from the Microsoft store. It includes Power2Go...

9 Legend

• 

33.3K Posts

October 12th, 2022 07:00

The only drivers for optical drives (CD/DVD) is the default built in Windows/Microsoft drivers.  Been this way for a long time.  

I'm on Windows 11 and my driver, works OK, is the 200kb version.

Just to double check, do you have both data and power cables connected? At the drive and the data cable at the motherboard.

If its all connected correctly, try a CMOS reset.  Sometimes new hardware is not recognized or recognized properly and resetting the CMOS fixes the problem.

CMOS reset. Disconnect power supply.  Open back and locate the CR2032 coin cell battery on the main board.  Remove the battery for at least 5 minutes.  Reinstall the battery, reassemble, connect power and power on, see if this corrects it.

October 12th, 2022 08:00

Thanks, I shall try that. I contacted Dell about it in Support Assist, they said it was a CD-ROM fault, and not a PC fault and because my system did not ship with a CD-ROM, it was not covered by my premium warranty. I emailed ASUS (CD-ROM Manufacture) and explained, they wrote back stating the drive I have is a "plug&play" device, therefore doesn't need 3rd party drivers, I contacted Dell again and sent a copy of ASUS email, they replied, "Try using Support Assist OS recovery" to restore Windows 11 to default. Do you think this will work, or is it a waste of time?

9 Legend

• 

33.3K Posts

October 12th, 2022 09:00

The "reinstall" is usually not needed.   Its a last option.  

Start with the CMOS reset. 

10 Elder

• 

43.8K Posts

October 12th, 2022 18:00

Are you using a shortcut to access the optical drive? Are you sure it's set to look for the right drive letter? In other words, is the optical drive some drive letter other than E: ?

Read this Dell KB article...

Before having to open the AIO up to remove the motherboard battery, check in BIOS setup to see if the optical drive is enabled.  Reboot and tap F2 to open BIOS Setup (Table 2).  Don't change anything else, but if you have to enable the optical drive, be sure to save the change when exiting setup. See if it works now.

October 12th, 2022 20:00

I went into the BIOS Setup, under SATA Controller it showed 2 types, 1 was sata and the other was nvp or something like that.

Under Drives, it showed my SSD and my HDD drives.

There was nothing at all in relation to my DVD-ROM Drive whatsoever.

It's very strange, I put a blank DVD-R in but nothing happens, if I try to "open" the DVD drive it states "it is not accessible, the parameter is incorrect.

Yet if I put a prerecorded DVD in, like a film or something, it will play that no problem. It doesn't make any sense. ‍

October 14th, 2022 05:00

Hey bro, you're right. I loaded CyberLink and put a few files in it to burn, it did exactly that.

I couldn't believe it. Thanks bro, I owe you a few pints. ‍

10 Elder

• 

43.8K Posts

October 14th, 2022 10:00

@vangellis200   - Glad Cyberlink did the job for you.

And I'm ready to collect whenever you're buying...

October 14th, 2022 11:00

I am deadly serious, mate. You saved me from doing a system reset that I wasn't looking forward to.

No Events found!