Start a Conversation

Unsolved

C

1 Rookie

• 

3 Posts

May 6th, 2024 20:46

XPS 17 9700, where can I take it for service?

I paid for out of warranty express service for my Dell XPS 17 9700. The technician ignored the service request and made a quote for something I very clearly did not want, as per the service request and the detailed document sent with the laptop. I called tech support to ask what the problem was, and the person who answered could not tell me anything useful. I asked that the issue be escalated, and the next person could not provide any more information, except rote, scripted replies that he understood my concern, and he was sorry for the inconvenience.

I asked for my laptop to be returned without service, as I need to know what went wrong. Not only was this a waste of time and money, but I don't know where to go for service for my Dell laptop now, as this is clearly unsatisfactory.

I am an IT professional with decades of experience who depends on reliable, high quality equipment and support; I want a technician that can tell me what went wrong and give advice on my resolution options. Where can I take my Dell laptop for this sort of service?

10 Elder

• 

23.3K Posts

May 6th, 2024 21:26

Any reputable local computer shop can work on the system.

5 Practitioner

• 

5K Posts

May 6th, 2024 22:17

You can try Parts People  https://www.parts-people.com/service.htm

1 Rookie

• 

3 Posts

May 8th, 2024 15:02

@ejn63​ the problem that I am having with "reputable" is that reputations are from consumers with consumer-level needs. I walked into a reputable computer shop and it was obvious that I had way more experience than they did, and weren't ready for the sort of advanced skills. They appeared VERY uncomfortable with the idea of servicing a Dell laptop, because it would require more than just dropping in a new SSD and running the BIOS diagnostics.

I don't know if Dell has any authorized service centers any more, but that's what I am hoping to find.

1 Rookie

• 

3 Posts

May 8th, 2024 15:04

@Chino de Oro​ - thanks, I am in Montreal, Canada. I am hoping that there are still Dell-certified technicians or service centers as there once was.

10 Elder

• 

23.3K Posts

May 8th, 2024 16:21

@crash_carlo​ 

Exactly what is the problem with the system?  Are you looking for board-level repair (which most shops won't touch on a PC notebook)?

Are you looking for a specific component to be replaced?

No Events found!