Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

P

December 16th, 2017 15:00

Need help trying to get Aurora R7 to boot from NVMe m.2 SSD

I have a new Aurora R7 that I purchase with just a 1 TB HDD. I bought a Samsung 960 EVO NVMe m.2 SSD and I want to make it boot from there. I have tried many suggestion that was given in the forum already and not quite sure what to do next.

I created a recovery USB and tried to use that to reinstall everything, however I when I try to recover it will say problem has occurred and won't proceed further. I am guessing it is not detecting the SSD.

In the BIOS it is set to UEFI, pretty much default settings. I have tried messing with it taking Secure Boot off and using Legacy. I also tried turning Raid off and put it to AHCI. I am using the Windows default driver, but I did tried to install the Samsung driver but it wouldn't install saying it cannot detect the device connected.

I can see the SSD in the drive list and in the boot priorities I have it set to 1) Window Boot Manger, 2) IPV4, 3) IPV6. I am trying to do an install instead of a clone, but even so I tried messing with the clone and still not really able to get it to work.

Any help would be appreciated!... Didn't realize this would be so difficult.

December 19th, 2017 07:00

I have a similar issue, i purchased a Toshiba M.2 NVMe 512GB PCI-e SSd THNSN5512GPUK, installed it and attempted to use it for the root drive (i7-8700.  The Disk manager recognized the drive and identified it but it could not be initialized.  I tried everything for 3 days....nothing worked. I've performed all the BIOS changes you mentioned, changing from RAID ON to AHCI, Legacy boot roms, etc. Switched off Secure Boot.

I tried to change the drive to MBR and also got the same error.  Bottom line, nothing has worked.

I gave up for now, assuming the NVMe type SSD is not supported?  I too cannot find any further information about how to install and get this drive working. I will next contact Dell and see if they will identify the specific manufacturer or device that I can use for this brand new PC. BTW I also could now download a bootable copy of win10 home to use to reinstall windows.  So they are over-nighting a USB drive with windows 10 bootable.

I even returned the Toshiba SSD as defective and they have accepted the return....so for now I need to find out what WILL work before ordering another 512GB SSD.

The error is

NVMe recognized but will not initialize

74 Posts

December 25th, 2017 23:00

Tech support can guide you through this, which has four or five steps.  If they send you a list, be advised that the one I received had an error, which they resolved on the phone.

4 Posts

January 3rd, 2018 16:00

Just curious, did you change the boot priority at all? I managed to get it work using similar steps you outlined. However I notice every time I start up it's not as fast as I would had imagine.

I previously owned a desktop that has a regular SSD and I can tell you it boots ups up almost instantly compared to the NVMe which is supposed to be faster.

Not sure if the IPV4 and IPV6 have something to do with it. 

25 Posts

January 3rd, 2018 16:00

I bought the Aurora R7 and performed an NVMe upgrade from the 1tb HDD using the following method.  It is by no means the only, correct way-it just worked for me after exhausting the Dell Tech Spprt folks.

I performed the following:
**********************Make sure you back up everything that is important to you before upgrading*********
1] installed the 960 PRO NVMe but it did not show up.
2] Powered down and unplugged the HDD.
3]  Booted back into BIOS and changed the following settings:
-EUFI to Legacy
-RAID to AHCI (but it shows up either way after turning EUFI off)
4] Put a Win 10 ISO on a USB and booted to that
5]  Clean installed WIndows (I lost my Dell recovery partition that that is OK with me).
Still need to figure out if ACHI is the correct setting vs. RAID.  I am still using AHCI mode with no issues. 
6] Install all the drivers/boots up and runs fine.  I will also install the 960 PRO driver and Magician later this afternoon. Done and performs crazy fast.
**********************Make sure you back up everything that is important to you before upgrading*******

25 Posts

January 3rd, 2018 17:00

I did change the boot order to boot from the 960 Pro.  I also installed the Samsung 960 driver and Magician to optimize the drive. 
Yeah, I was surprised it was not any faster than it was.  But once it was on the desktop, it was crazy fast.
There is probably a setting or two that I am unaware of that might improve the boot time. If you figure it out, I would appreciate a heads-up.  I have kind of given up tinkering with it. 
FWIW, anyone thinking of buying the Toshiba NVMe M.2s- don't.  I could not get the R7 to recognize the drive.  Even my HP PC would not recognize it.
Best regards,
Jeff
No Events found!