Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

B

December 14th, 2017 17:00

I am trying to upgrade my Alienware Aurora R3 from Windows 7 Ultimate to Windows 10. It keeps locking up and will not update. Any iseas?

I cannot upgrade from Windows 7 to Windows 10

2 Posts

December 15th, 2017 19:00

Good possibility it is the usb 3.0 driver. This came up for me on an upgrade attempt.  However, I got it on with a clean install.  Do you research and obtain (prior to install) the appropriate usb 3.0 drivers and burn them to a cd.  When you get to the part of the install that identifies the hard drive install location, use the load driver option and point it to your burned cd.  Hope this helps. 

For an upgrade, make sure you update the usb 3.0 drivers before you attempt the upgrade.

1 Rookie

• 

1.8K Posts

December 15th, 2017 19:00

Very good Tom

The member poster here used the term upgrade then update in the title, the issue seems to be a simple move from what was 7 to 10. In the past, between R1-R4, the R3 had the worst time with this upgrade. From memory, Win10 goes through three install / restart process, the installer has to babysit the install, and for each time it restarts you must shut the computer off (to not shut it off results in a form of hang or freeze). I assume that as 10 declares it is restarting, you get a black screen ,followed by AlienHead Bios Logo & upon seeing Bios logo you shut pc off (hold power button down or yank wall cord. Then simply power back up the install proceeds on its merry way. I can't look into for you, please see forum search results, look for posts with high view counts as a search result tip

Aurora R3 Windows 10

This one has 890,000 views, a good place to start > Windows 10 on Aurora R3

Also see google, look for results on AlienArena, manually shutting off between restarts was discussed there also. Find results in the Dell Win10 forum also, perhaps make a companion post, install 10 on an R3 should be old news by now

No Events found!