Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

B

December 21st, 2017 05:00

Bios update and out of warranty laptop.

Hi, I have question mainly directed for a alienware rep or maybe someone knowledgeable with dellienware policy. I have a alienware 17 r3 i7 6700hq 970m currently on bios 1.3.6 out of warranty. I know that the skylake model have issues with a hyper thread bug which sa solved by a micro code patch from intel via bios update which is version 1.3.12. Also intel has a new issue with intel's ME Firmware(SA-00086) security flaw which would need a new bios update that dell is working on. Now my question is. My laptop is out of warranty. If I update my bios and will encounter a bad flash bios update which might brick my laptop(which we all know bios update have a small chance of bricking). Will dellienware provide support and cover my laptop if it got brick due to the need of flashing to a new bios because of the hyper thread bug and intel's ME Firmware(SA-00086) security flaw? As It is not my fault that you have this issue with intel and keeping my laptop vulnerable. Hope someone can answer my question. Thank you. 

78 Posts

December 21st, 2017 07:00

Thank you very much for the reply. I didnt mean to be a angry customer about this intel mess.. I was just wondering due to the problem with intel,  dell customers are suffering who doesnt have warranty. The intel me security flaw is new and would need a new bios update which they are still working on.. I know bios 1.3.12 doesnt fix the intel ME security flaw.. I mean that bios 1.3.12 is suppose to fix the hyper thread bug.. Sorry to be a noob about this but what is intel TXT for? is it related to the hyper thread bug or the intel me security flaw? As of the moment I am very pleased with my laptop. Its just that I have read about this intel hyper thread bug and intel me security flaw that made me ask this question as I am out of warranty. The warranty extension here in the UK is ridiculously expensive, 350 pounds for a year. I should have bought the 4 year warranty i knew problems like this would. happened.. lol

9 Legend

• 

47K Posts

December 21st, 2017 07:00

Antivirus programs and Different version of windows than what it came with are reasons for "bricking"

I7 6700HQ does not have INTEL TXT. Only Systems using Intel ME Firmware versions 8.x-10.x

and 11.0.0 -11.7.0, SPS Firmware version 4.0, and TXE version 3.0 are impacted.

Intel® Core™ i7-6700HQ Processor (6M Cache, up to 3.50 GHz) Product Specifications 

6700HQ

Intel® Management Engine (Intel® ME 8.x-10.x and 11.0.0-11.7.0), Intel® Trusted Execution Engine (Intel® TXE 3.0), and Intel® Server Platform Services (Intel® SPS 4.0) vulnerability (Intel-SA-00086) DOES NOT APPLY.

BIOS 1.3.12 Enhancements:
1. Update Intel microcode
2. Update RAID Option ROM
3. Update Intel GOP and VBIOS
4. Improve user experience of Alienware Command Center
5. Security enhancement

https://downloads.dell.com/FOLDER04483570M/1/Alienware_15R2_17R3_1.3.12.EXE 

You can pay for a warranty extension. 

Your indignation is misplaced.

9 Legend

• 

47K Posts

December 21st, 2017 08:00

Intel® Trusted Execution Engine Interface (Intel® TXE) driver and Firmware does not apply to Core I7 6700HQ

Intel Trusted Execution Technology (Intel TXT, formerly known as LaGrande Technology) is a computer hardware technology
whose primary goals are:

Attestation of the authenticity of a platform and its operating system.
    Assuring that an authentic operating system starts in a trusted environment, which can then be considered trusted.
    Providing of a trusted operating system with additional security capabilities not available to an unproven one.

Intel TXT uses a Trusted Platform Module (TPM) and cryptographic techniques to provide measurements of software and platform
components so that system software as well as local and remote management applications may use those measurements to make trust decisions.

This technology is based on an industry initiative by the Trusted Computing Group (TCG) to promote safer computing.
It defends against software-based attacks aimed at stealing sensitive information by corrupting system or BIOS code,
or modifying the platform's configuration.

Intel vPro technology is an umbrella marketing term used by Intel for a large collection of computer hardware technologies,
including Hyperthreading, Turbo Boost 3.0, VT-x, VT-d, Trusted Execution Technology (TXT), and
Intel Active Management Technology (AMT). When the vPro brand was launched (circa 2007),
it was identified primarily with AMT,the AMT interface is the essence of vPro.

No Events found!