Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

December 17th, 2017 20:00

Alienware R4 drives??

I have some questions about what drives I can add. I just ordered an R4 17 and it says I have extra slots to add more drives. But I am confused at what these mean. I spent a lot of time googling but haven't come up with any sure fire answers. So I am hoping someone can help me out. This what the manual says about the extra drives.

Hard drive
One 2.5-inch drive
Solid-state drive (SSD)
•Two full-size M.2 PCIe/SATA drives
•One half-size M.2 PCIe/SATA drive
So it says I have basically 3.5 drives. The hard drive slot and one full sized SSD slot are taken in my laptop. One TB (hard drive) and one 256gb SSD that came with my laptop. So that leaves me with one full size and one half size ssd slot??
So the full size is that a 2280 ssd? And as long as it is a M.2 card either PCIe or Sata it will work? Or just any M.2 card?
Also does the connection type matter? B,M, or B+M?
Then the half sized card. What is half sized? Is it a 2240 or 2242 or even a 2260? Not sure what size will fit? Then same questions about the connections as the full sized. I am assuming the connections are the same?
Thanks

3 Apprentice

• 

4.4K Posts

December 18th, 2017 13:00

Hi spunge9000‌,

The following table shows the hard-drive options available in this computer.

Hard drive options
Options Dimensions
HDD One 2.5-inch drive (SATA)
SSD
  • Two full-size M.2 PCIe/SATA drives
  • One half-size M.2 PCIe/SATA drive

So:

1. yes, 'it is a M.2 card either PCIe or Sata it will work'.

2. 'Also does the connection type matter? B,M, or B+M? No, all compatible

3. What is half sized?' It is 2242.

The Two full-size M.2 PCIe/SATA drives will run at 4x and the One half-size M.2 PCIe/SATA drive will run at 2x.

December 18th, 2017 15:00

Thank you so much! That is exactly what I wanted to know! 

No Events found!