Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

H

December 11th, 2017 01:00

Alienware 17-R4, lags every time I refresh?

Hi,

Just got my Alienware 17 R4 delivered 2 days ago. Haven't really played much games yet ( only cs:go and some low visual games) but for some reason every time i right click on the desktop screen there is a few seconds delay(more like a lag spike) before the refresh window pops open. Doesn't matter if i'm playing a game,streaming or doing nothing with it. Its fairly annoying like. Wondering if anyone else has encountered this before and if yes then how do i fix it. My old system which had way low specs than this( fourth generation intel i7-acer) never did that.

PC SPECS:

Intel® Core™ i7-7700HQ

NVIDIA® GeForce® GTX 1060 with 6GB GDDR5

8GB DDR4 at 2400MHz (1x8GB)

128GB M.2 SATA 6Gb/s SSD (Boot) + 1TB 7200RPM SATA 6Gb/s (Storage)

Thanks in advance.

10 Posts

December 11th, 2017 22:00

Hey,

I had the same problem and it has something do to with the windows and not the system - the only solution is to edit the registry. (Easy Peasy Lemon Squeezy)

For NVIDIA:

1. Launch Regedit.exe and navigate to the following branch:

HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Directory\Background\shellex\ContextMenuHandlers\NvCplDesktopContext

2. Right-click NvCplDesktopContext, click Export and save the branch to a .reg file.

4. Right-click NvCplDesktopContext and choose Delete

5. Exit the Registry Editor.

For INTEL:

HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Directory\Background\shellex\ContextMenuHandlers\igfxcui
HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Directory\Background\shellex\ContextMenuHandlers\igfxDTCM

PS: It doesn't delete the software.

Enjoy lag free right click!

3 Posts

December 12th, 2017 02:00

Thanks for the reply.

Has this been tested yet? I don't want to make any changes that'll  my system.  Also, what are the draw backs for doing this?

Thanks.

10 Posts

December 12th, 2017 03:00

Hey Hass,

There is no draw back and you wont mess up your system. I did this as soon as I found the solution because it is annoying little thing and nothing happened to me or to my laptop since then. Everything is working like it should be. There are many YouTube videos for this solution also. You can create a restore point before doing this if you want to feel more safe.

3 Posts

December 13th, 2017 00:00

Any link for them youtube videos you mentioned?

Thanks.

10 Posts

December 13th, 2017 00:00

First one I found

How To Remove NVIDIA Control Panel from Desktop Right-Click Menu - YouTube 

you can also search for alternatives.

No Events found!