Start a Conversation

Solved!

Go to Solution

Closed

16 Posts

November 24th, 2020 15:00

How to disable/remove/uninstall SupportAssist On-board Diagnostics

Just received (less than one month) a brand new computer XPS 13 9310 2-in-1. Bios version 1.1.1, Windows 10 Pro

For every single pause (simple coffee break) lasting more than 10 minutes, the Dell SupportAssist On-board Diagnostics automatically started, close all my open windows, shut down all my work (Word, Excel etc) without even save the latest version of the ongoing works, scan my computer and display the result screen with the message "Success Hardware scan complete with no issues" CONTINUE button in blue color.

When i click on CONTINUE, the laptop reboot and i have to reopen all previously opened windows, all works lost !

I have open a ticket at Dell suport since 10 days almost, they have tried, no solution. 

I have uninstall all Dell support assist from windows 10 Pro, and i have the feeling this diagnostics tool is running from BIOS.

The crazy thing about this is that the scan run as much as i make pause a day. When outside, the screen remain on, high light (consuming electricity) etc.

How to get rid of this (simply disabling and preferably removing/uninstalling this tool) ? 

Thanks for your replies

• 

16.7K Posts

February 8th, 2021 08:00

CHarvest,

Start the computer and tap the F2 key. Once in the bios navigate to the update recovery section.  Once in the update recovery opinion set the  Dell Auto OS Recovery Threshold to off.  Save the changes and exit. 

Please read through the FAQ SupportAssist.

15 Posts

March 12th, 2021 08:00

I was guided to a much different solution by Advanced Technical Support Analyst Kevin S.  After getting logs off my laptop, he diagnosed that the most probable cause was the fingerprint reader of all things!  And this is the change he had me make which has completely eliminated the problem:

• Change the settings to let the computer go to sleep again
  • Open the Device Manager
  • Find Biometric devices
  • Right-click on the "Goodix fingerprint" and select Properties
  • Click on the Power Management tab and uncheck the box that says "Allow the computer to turn off this device to save power"

After that you can use it normally and let it sleep and see if the computer crashes again as before."

Many, many thanks to Kevin S. and also Jesse L. who referred me to second level support.       I'm now a happy customer!

Any of you on this thread that have a fingerprint reader on your machine might want to try this and see if it fixes your glitches.  Once it glitches, then the on-board diagnostics kick in and never find anything.  The solution to my problem was not to remove the on-board diagnostics but to find the root cause of the glitch.

Good luck to everyone!  These issues can be hard to diagnose and fix.  I would never have suspected the fingerprint reader.  It never worked for me, so I thought it wasn't really functional.
Carla H.

16 Posts

Deleted

• 

25.1K Posts

Thank you! We have received the required details. We will work towards a resolution. In the meantime, you may also receive assistance or suggestions from the community members.

Note = Disconnecting the XPS 13 9310 2-in-1 from the i-tec USB-C Dual Display MST Docking Station stops the SA On-board Diagnostics from starting.

• 

25.1K Posts

Thank you! We have received the required details. We will work towards a resolution. In the meantime, you may also receive assistance or suggestions from the community members.

3 Posts

December 17th, 2020 22:00

Hello, have you solved this issue? I have the same trouble with my inspiron 7306.

1 Message

January 24th, 2021 05:00

So has there been a solution? The only work-around I've found so far is to change to "hibernate" instead of "sleep" when closing the lid, but the drawback is that then it takes longer to boot up and deletes the work you've been working on.

January 24th, 2021 19:00

Is there a solution for this yet? I have the same issue with a Vostro 7500 I bought about a month ago. I leave my laptop on at night to get updates from Windows, and On-board Diagnostics sometimes starts up automatically during the night. When I get to the laptop in the morning it's blazing hot and the fan races until I click the blue Continue button. I also see the message that indicates the hardware scan was successful. If this is a process that can start with neither my consent nor my request, why would it need my intervention to stop after an allegedly successful completion? I can't imagine the overheating could be good for the life of the laptop.

16 Posts

January 29th, 2021 12:00

Unfortunately it was not possible to solve this issue. 

Since my XPS was less than a month, Dell change it. I have received a brand new XPS. The initial problem (white screen with message Support Assist did not find any hardware problem) has disappeared. 

Unfortunately, another problem has appeared: When i quit my laptop (for tea or whatever break), the screen goes full black, Fan start turning intensively, temperature of the laptop goes very high (really hot) and above all, impossible to take back the control of my laptop. I have to do a hard shot-down eat time... and restart the computer, with my ongoing works... lost !!! 

It's really a nightmare. The first time i have these kind of issues with Dell (or maybe windows who knows).

Really disappointing and most importantly, i always lost my ongoing work, sadly !

If someone has a solution, i will be very happy.. 

15 Posts

February 4th, 2021 22:00

Is this being worked on?  I also am having the same problem on a new (4 day old) 5502 which is a replacement for another 5502 which had that same problem but also had a BIOS update glitch.  Dell can't afford to just send out replacement laptops hoping that the next one will work better.  It is very disruptive to the flow of my work to have the onboard hardware diagnostics run without warning.  Most of the time, it doesn't come out of it well with a failure to restart properly.  Running diagnostics on that doesn't show anything, so just doing another restart is the only option.  So it just keeps running diagnostics and rebooting at odd times without warning and the onboard hardware diagnostics have NEVER found an issue on the new or old 5502.

16 Posts

February 10th, 2021 23:00

@NBone Please read my today post suggesting solution 1+2. It might help getting out of this problem

16 Posts

@CHarvest See my today last post on the solution 1+2 (just a proposal without any guarantee it will work) ... Please just tried and share your experience ! Good luck ...

16 Posts

Bonjour, I had both problem (SA starting + Laptop overheating) 1- For the SA starting without my consent: You probably have a non-Dell docking station connected. Either you install drivers of the docking and all devices connected to that docking, then see if the problem persists, and/or purchase a Dell docking, which I did and it helps. 2- For the over-heating: Check in your BIOS if you have a head shut-down. If yes, then The Motherboards is dead! Ask for replacement from Dell since you are still under guarantee. Also, consider the post above on (hibernate vs. sleep mode). This is an old problem liaise to Windows more than 10 years ago... in almost all windows' releases So far, its only what i can say based on my observation of the laptop behavior. @strassenrad

16 Posts

I believe this SA untimely start might be link to a probable external docking station (Non-Dell manufacturer) I've set the SA auto start to off in my Bios and it changed nothing... until i install all the drivers of my i-tec docking and mouse/keyboard drivers as well.

15 Posts

February 11th, 2021 06:00

No external docking station, just sitting on a cooling tray which just gets power from the laptop and two splitters that provide me extra USB-A ports and Ethernet connection port.
Last night I was coached through a Clean Boot.  I turned off Microsoft, Adobe, the Brothers printer, Google, and tried to stop McAfee and Malwarebytes. And I had a success! The file explorer was still open in the morning where I left it.

I am wondering about MS Office. I have installed my MS Office 2019 twice and it still says 365.
It is also possible that McAfee and Malwarebytes aren't playing nice or that Windows Defenders is interacting with them.
The printer package from Brother is very low risk.
I suppose it might be Google Chrome but it may be lower risk as well.
I propose next step is just turning off the Microsoft.

No Events found!