Solved!

Go to Solution

1 Rookie

• 

11 Posts

April 28th, 2024 10:33

WD19TB with Macbook Air M3 or Macbook Pro M3 Pro

Hi,

I have WD19TB with two dell 2k displays. Will this docking station support dual external display with:

1. Macbook Air with M3 (I know that the lid of a laptop should closed to get two displays working and each display should be connected to individual port of the laptop).

2. Macbook Pro with M3 Pro. 

According to this Dell article WD19TB should work with both laptops. But I am wondering, if anyone tried to connect two displays through this dock to these laptops.  

1 Rookie

• 

4 Posts

May 10th, 2024 12:24

So, I've now ordered the Dell Universal Dock D6000 and tested it with two monitors. After installing the DisplayLink driver, I am able to get 4K@60Hz on both monitors with an extended display, whether the laptop lid is open or closed. The only issue is that I feel like there's a slight lag when opening and closing windows. But it's really minimal and doesn't bother me, although I'm usually quite sensitive to such things. So I definitely recommend it if your laptop doesn't support enough monitors otherwise. And by the way, under Ubuntu the dock works wonderfully with the DisplayLink driver. I haven't had the chance to test it on Windows yet.

1 Rookie

• 

4 Posts

May 3rd, 2024 09:24

Hi flarezt,

have you tried to connect one of the monitors via usb c thunderbolt?

• One monitor must be first connected using the DisplayPort port (DP, HDMI, USB-C port) and the other monitor must be connected using the Thunderbolt port on the dock.
  • The displays are mirrored if both the monitors are connected using the DisplayPort on the dock (that is, DP and HDMI (or) DP and DP (or) DP and USB-C).

If your monitors not support usb c, you can use a usb to DisplayPort or HDMI Adapter I think.

isGoodTroubleshooting

1 Rookie

• 

11 Posts

May 4th, 2024 07:28

Hi YanniSani,

thank you for your reply. The thing is that I don't have a Macbook and I am just wondering if someone from this community tested these laptops with wd19tb.

1 Rookie

• 

4 Posts

May 4th, 2024 11:37

Oh, I read that wrong. I actually have an M3 chip MacBook Pro and had ordered a USB-C to DP cable yesterday so that I could use my MacBook with two extended displays. I ordered the following cable:
https://www.amazon.de/dp/B07HT55W19

I have just connected it full of expectation but unfortunately it doesn't work.

I tried the following combinations:

DP (2) and USB-C (8): No display on one of the external monitors. Which one depends on the order in which I plugged them in. Also not work with closed lid.
DP (2) and USB-C (4): Same display (mirrored) on both external monitors with the lid open or closed.

On Windows and Ubuntu, both combinations work.

I really want to make this work. Do you @flarezt or anyone else have an idea to make this work? I have just ordered a second USB-C to DP cable to try the combination USB-C (4) and USB-C (8). This is the combination used in the picture in the Dell article. The cable will be delivered on Monday. I will get back to you then.

(edited)

1 Rookie

• 

11 Posts

May 5th, 2024 07:38

Thank you for sharing your experience. I hope that you will find a solution. 

I have been searching for a while and found this article https://support.apple.com/en-us/101571 which says that MacBook Pro with M3 chip supports only 1 display. Perhaps you can get two external displays working if you close the lid of your laptop. Alternatively, as far as I heard utilization of DisplayLink dock might help but again it has to be tested. 

1 Rookie

• 

4 Posts

May 6th, 2024 09:09

The second USB-C to DP cable has now arrived and unfortunately, as expected, it does not work with the MacBook Pro M3 to extend the display to all screens. Not even when the lid is closed. If I connect both monitors to the laptop without a docking station, I don't get a display on one of the monitors either. Apparently, only one extended display is really supported on the MacBook Pro with M3, which I find pretty weak, since even my old MacBook from 2015 worked with two extended monitors (via two Thunderbolt 2 ports). But that's not the issue here.

But DisplayLink is a good keyword @flarezt. I have now ordered the Dell Universal Dock D6000 which uses DisplayLink technology. I will let you know if it works. 

1 Rookie

• 

11 Posts

May 10th, 2024 14:15

Hi YanniSani, I am glad to hear that it works! Thank you very much for the update!

No Events found!