Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

D

December 23rd, 2017 10:00

NO Overclock for my New Aurora 7

Hi all, I just got my new Aurora 7  yesterday and I'm a little upset that there is no OC tools available in the Command Center. I searched the website but there is nothing for my model. Can anyone point me in the right direction as to how I can overclock my PC?  

Manufacturer Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-8700 CPU @ 3.20GHz

Clock Speed 3.2GhzL2

Cache Size1536

1 Rookie

• 

1.8K Posts

December 23rd, 2017 22:00

the 8700 you bought can't be overclocked, only K processors can be overclocked, like 8350k 8600k 8700k, which explains their higher TDP / power rating

to buy an 8100 8400 8700 now then replace with a K processor later you'll want the 'overclocking heatsink' shown in photo next to liquid cooler (heatsink is used to cool off the VRMs / Mosfets > google VRM throttling), it essentially prevents the Mosfest from burning up, heat death and catching fire. If you don't have that heatsink you need a fan there somehow to cool the parts off when a K processor is installed or risk the above

3 Posts

December 25th, 2017 04:00

Well I am sending this back then because no where on the Aurora7 sales page does it say this cant be overclocked, as a matter of fact, it shows it in the description graphics that it cant be.  Very misleading of Alienware to pull a fast one like that, I am not pleased to say the least. Tuesday we will begin the return process and I am going back to CyberpowerPC like I have in the past. Beautiful part is, I financed this one, so I'm not out any money yet.

8 Posts

December 25th, 2017 09:00

Or get an Aurora with a 8700K with liquid cooling. I have mine running smooth at 5 GHz. I've had Cyberpower before and I think the Alienware build quality and support is superior.

74 Posts

December 25th, 2017 23:00

Mine is also stable at 5 GHz with slight increase in core voltage from 1.120 to 1.134.  Haven't done torture tests, but four benchmarks work.   My (MSI Aero?) 1080 Ti also accepted OC, +122 MHz core clock and +350Mhz memory clock.

3 Posts

December 26th, 2017 11:00

The problem is, the webpage showed that you can overclock it, I don't want to lay out more money, nor should I have to.

December 26th, 2017 21:00

While I definitely understand the confusion and do agree that the ads should be a little more specific, this ad is based on the fact that only K processors can be overclocked. While I also agree that the ad should perhaps be a little more forthcoming about that specific detail...i think they assume that people who are genuinely serious about overclocking are people who understand that non-k processors cannot be overclocked and therefor it's a redundant piece of information. Why shouldn't you have to pay more for more performance? If you're not happy with the alienware brand then by all means, return it and go with what you know. If you're not happy with what you paid for, pay for more. I dont think cyberpower will offer you the same or more for what you paid. But then again I think that depends how high end you go. cyberpower has great value in their entry to mid range level and alienware becomes much more competitive when you get to upper-mid/high end. A little side note....if you weren't aware that non-k processors couldn't be overclocked and or you weren't aware your processor wasnt a K...i doubt you'll really notice or miss the extra performance from overclocking. yes, it's a substantial difference in power...no...it's not going to be a night and day difference unless you're doing enough on your pc to have known you needed a beefy processor with oc capability. Unless you're certain you've found a better deal, your best option would be to give it a week and see if you really feel like you need that extra processing power. if you do, simply return it and haggle with the sales people to draw you up a reasonable quote for something similar with a k processor, 850psu and liquid cooling.   

8 Posts

December 26th, 2017 23:00

Alienware/Dell aren't the ones charging you for the ability to overclock, that is Intel. Anywhere you go a K cpu will be higher in price because that's part of Intel's business model.

No Events found!