Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

A

December 22nd, 2017 13:00

Can't switch AW M14x to graphics card because of 8 beeps

I have an Alienware M14x and have recently ran into some trouble. After noticing unusually low fps, I checked device manager and found the error "Windows has stopped this device because it reported problems (Code 43) next to my gtx 765m.

I tried various drivers and windows updates, but nothing worked. Ultimately I removed the device and fully deleted its drivers, but now I am unable to find it in device manager, even if I click show hidden devices. I checked the bios, and it was there. I then hit FN+F5 to try and switch to my graphics card, but after restarting the computer was unable to boot and instead only beeped 8 times. After following online instructions, I disconnected and reconnected the CMOS battery, which changed the 8 beeps to 5 and then allowed me to log in to my computer. According to those instructions I could fix the issue by disabling "non turbo flex support" in the bios, but after trying again with the setting off I still ran into the 8 beep issue. How can I get my laptop off integrated graphics? Thanks.

3 Apprentice

• 

4.4K Posts

December 26th, 2017 10:00

Hi alex7432‌,

Looks like a VC issue so it cannot be done. You'll need to replace the motherboard to get the PC to fully work without issues. You could still try updating the BIOS, but it may simply stop working.

No Events found!