Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

December 28th, 2017 07:00

Can I add to the Samsung Pro Series 1TB PCIe to the second SSD slot in my Alienware 13 r3?

I am trying to find out if I should purchase the Samsung 960 PRO Series - 1TB PCIe NVMe - M.2 Internal SSD (MZ-V6P1T0BW) for installation in the empty SSD slot on my Alienware 13 R3 laptop.  Has anyone tried to do this?  If yes, did anyone have any issues?

December 28th, 2017 22:00

Does it have a standard HDD slot? It'd be cheaper and the storage would be more if you just buy a 2TB or more HDD. As long as the OS is on a M.2 then everything else would be fine. The only thing loading on the HDD would be applications or files you install or download. You wouldn't notice a performance difference except when you install the applications. When actually running them is your end goal.

6 Posts

December 29th, 2017 05:00

Thank you for the reply.  The slot is a PCIe NVMe M.2 format slot. So it has to be the "gum stick" type hard drive, not an HDD slot.

December 29th, 2017 05:00

If it has 2 PCIe slots you can use both. It's the same as if it was 2 SATA connections. I was just asking if there was a HDD slot because that'd be easier to upgrade and cheaper with similar results. Both slots should work. If you wanted to test it move the current M.2 into the other slot and boot up. If the OS doesn't show up then it might be disabled in the BIOS.

No Events found!