Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

Closed

2 Posts

December 31st, 2017 22:00

Bult in Speakers not working, only subwoofer works, muffled, low sound. Alienware R17 R4 Windows 10

Help needed.

Alienware R17 R4 Windows 10, recently purchased. Running smoothly until today when the built-in back stereo speakers stopped working.
Sound ok through earphone jack / bluetooth
Built-in sound now only comes out from the bottom woofer, distorted, very low and muffled.

Did some research online and found that Realtek driver is a common source for this type of failure, so I followed various recommendations, among them:

Uninstalled and reinstalled latest Realtek HD Audio Drivers, problem persists.
Uninstalled Realtek Drivers and disabled permisssions so that 
Windows is unable to re-install it automatically. 
Sound is managed now by the default Windows HD audio drivers.

As of today, the problem persists; audio coming out ok through earphones and bluetooth, yet no built in sound from the stereo speakers. Only distorted and muted sound from the tiny subwoofer.

Anyone else having a similar problem

3 Apprentice

• 

4.4K Posts

January 2nd, 2018 10:00

Hi arturogil‌,

Try a system restore to a date before the issue started. If that doesn't help, we can always try a reset. Then replacing hardware.

2 Posts

January 2nd, 2018 10:00

Thank you. Finally found the solution online: shut down computer. Plug in a pair of headphones. Turn on computer. Log in. Unplug headphones.

Voila! Speakers working again! 

I have a question though. I found a lot of opinions online against the RealtekHD Audio Drivers. Most users advice strongly for going with the native Microsoft audio drivers.

What's your take on this? Should I reinstall the Realtek drivers?

Sent from myMail for iOS

Tuesday, January 2, 2018, 12:38 PM -0600 from emc-dell@jiveon.com :

>Alienware community

>You have been mentioned

>by Alienware-Eimy in Re: Bult in Speakers not working, only subwoofer works, muffled, low sound. Alienware R17 R4 Windows 10 in Alienware community - View Alienware-Eimy's reference to you

3 Apprentice

• 

4.4K Posts

January 3rd, 2018 10:00

We always recommend using the latest drivers from our site, these are the ones that are tested for Alienware. If the ones that you currently have are working correctly, there is no reason to perform the update.

No Events found!